old salut!

Colin Randall wrote here on France, things Anglo-French and more......but has moved

April 04, 2007

And the winners are....

This site has now moved to Salut!

Monette has been described as a chic Parisian cat, but the truth is that while she is fairly chic, she is - or was - Parisian in the sense that de Valera was Irish or I am a Durham lad.

In other words, she was born far from the land she called her own. Not quite as far as de Valera from Ireland (New York) or Randall from the North East (Hove), but far enough for a cat.

A few days into her life as one of a litter born at a restaurant at Giverny, where the house and gardens of Monet are on public view (and well worth the drive weat of Paris), this scrap snapped at the heels of a table where two couples were rounding off their visit.

One couple fell in love with the kitten and were promptly told they could take her. Since this was a girl, she couldn't be Monet, so she became Monette.

Several readers of Salut! were able to identify her with ease. No one, I am sorry to say, came up with that 50,000 hits home page from the blog.

But then, my web man Craig McGintywas always iffy about the idea and somone else was kind enough to send me an image of the Stat Counter on my site stuck on 60,000 to show how easy it was to fiddle.

I chose not to withdraw thatvpart of the competition, since you'd have to be especially odd to sit there making the counter say 50,000 just to win a book on curries.

There was the risk, of course, because I had only to receive more than one saved image to know that one, both or all were cheating. But what the heck....

So, the witching hour having been reached, I apologise to those who sent in correct answers to the cat question and do not now see their names.

But I found a use for a pile of pristine Daily Telegraph visiting cards, wrote the names of each correct respondent on them and asked Mme Salut! - Monette being unavailable - to draw two of them.

And the winners are: Mason Norton and Steve Bushnell. Both sent charming e-mails with their correct responses.

Neither, however, supplied a postal address and should do so, once again by writing to colinrandall2001@yahoo.fr

The prizes will then be dispatched in the next few days.

Otherwise, one or both may end up going elsewhere - perhaps even to Louise, whose name went into the hat despite her lack of affection for Indian cuisine and would go into it again if a re-draw were necessary.

Labels: , , , , ,

This site has now moved to Salut!

11 Comments:

At April 04, 2007 6:18 PM, Blogger Bill Taylor said...

And anonyhamster's? It would be worth it purely for the embarrassment it would cause him. Now that he knows we're onto him, he's keeping his head well down and is not even his usual vituperative, mouthy self on the Telegraph blogs.

 
At April 04, 2007 6:37 PM, Blogger Louise said...

You see, Bill, I didn't win! Still, it's your loss - if I had won the book I would have learnt all about Indian cuisine and then I would have invited you all (well, perhaps not all) to come to the Swiss Alps and see what curry tastes like at high altitude! Tant pis...

 
At April 04, 2007 6:41 PM, Blogger Bill Taylor said...

Can't we have boeuf carrotte instead?

 
At April 04, 2007 6:58 PM, Blogger Louise said...

We can have that too!

 
At April 04, 2007 7:10 PM, Blogger Louise said...

Now the excitement has died down...

What a grand cat you have, being born in Monet country. I don't think you should send her here as Richard suggested - she would be horrified by the snow and the cow pats in the summer (but no fleas!) and I haven't seen many water lilies recently.

 
At April 04, 2007 7:15 PM, Blogger richard of orleans said...

My hearty congratulations to the winners. I think speeches are called for.

Giverny is an awful place. It is crammed with bus loads of Anglo Saxons.

I lived in Paris for years and went all over the place with French people for weekend trips, but never to Giverny. So many Anglo Saxons talked about it that we eventually decided to go. All our French friends asked us why on earth we would go there, but were polite enough not to give us the low down on the place.

We arrived and there was a massive queue of coaches. It's the closest place in France to Marbella.

 
At April 04, 2007 8:48 PM, Blogger Gigi said...

I didn't enter because I never win anything - not even arguments. I love Indian food though. I don't, however, love cats so...Louise - would you like me to send you our cat? He has the very original name of 'Ginger' and my daughter won him in an archery competition at summer camp. He has no personality and is terrified of human beings but he would probably love cow pats. Or perhaps Monette would like a boyfriend? That is, assuming Ginger is not gay, like our last cat was...

 
At April 05, 2007 12:18 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I am distraught, I didn't win!
My day is in ruins.







(jk for the literally-minded amongst you)

 
At April 05, 2007 12:29 PM, Blogger Louise said...

Thanks, but no thanks Gigi! I already have one that drives me batty, wanting to go in or out, depending, throughout the night and my big lovely woolly grey cat was stolen by some horrid English people up the road...well, he decided to find a better home and when the woman rang to say he was 'chez eux' I asked her not to feed him - she obviously did exactly the opposite and we now only meet occasionally when I am walking Gus.

And my mother has a cat called Ginger...original! No prizes for guessing the colour!

 
At April 05, 2007 2:09 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Goodness, a cat rustler just up the road. I hope it was pistols at dawn.

My own beautiful lovely Ulysse loves sitting on a plant pot in the sun in which herbs are trying to push through. Poor things. He's a solid cat.

 
At April 05, 2007 2:29 PM, Blogger Bill Taylor said...

I recommend water pistols at dawn. The very thought of it causes some garulous hearts to quail.
Try living/sleeping with 3 cats. Tinker is a feline alarm clock self-set to go off at 6 a.m. Smudge is a little chunky and tends to steal the bedclothes. Sylvie likes to sleep wrapped around your head. Best of all is when two of them get into a fight on the bed at 3 in the morning.
The Antibes Telegraph? Isn't that breach of copywright?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home